Monday, July 20, 2009

Summer Vacation !

I love to go on a vacation every year. I think it is a fun way to just be together and "bond." I have fond memories of my vacations as a kid. We always went to the Homestead, and except for the time my brother told me I was adopted, it usually was a good time. Not that being adopted is a bad thing, he was just being a jerk and saying I wasn't really a Wiscomb because I was adopted. Yet, I digress. I remember the drive to the Homestead and asking my dad how much longer (it seemed really far away). His answer was always the same...just over that mountain. Which made me crazy because I thought good hell, we have to drive all the way to the top and then back down again, we will never get there. My mom always made me feel better by saying that we go around the mountain, which always seemed easier and closer. Obviously my dad and brother shared the same sense of humor. You know, humor by making Judy pissed off. Which really doesn't work for me. When we got to the room, Robert (the previously mentioned brother) and I were excited to go swimming. But first my parents made us set up the bar and make them a drink consisting of (get this) Tang and Vodka. Now, there are many things wrong with this event. First, why do the children have to set up the bar. Second, why would you need to drink before you take your kids swimming, wouldn't you want to be kind of sharp? Third, Tang, really? Tang isn't even good alone let alone with Vodka. Here let's pour some which hazel in Tang and see if it tastes good. It took me many years of trying to figure out the Tang/Vodka combo. Then I realized that in 1975 there were no refrigerators in the room, so you couldn't have a proper mixer like orange juice handy. Tang traveled well. And I guess the first drink was really the hard part. After that, it didn't really matter what the vodka was mixed with, as long as they kept on coming. I never even thought this was strange until as an adult taking my kids swimming immediately after arriving to a hotel and thinking, why would I make my kids set up the bar, and why would I drink before going swimming. Makes my head hurt.

We decided to take advantage of our own Park City for our vacation this year. Truthfully, my kids just want to swim and shop. Even when I take them to Disneyland they have a good time, but ask me when we are going back to the hotel to swim. I'm like, are you kidding me, we are in Disneyland, and you want to go swimming. Therefore, we went to Park City. Once we start driving up the canyon, I always think to myself, why don't we come up here more often. Just for the day. It is 30 minutes away. I can't even get to Draper in 30 minutes. Park City is great. We went on the Alpine Slide and the new Alpine Coaster which in my book is better than the slide. We shopped and swam, and enjoyed the scenery. We put puzzles together and watched about 50 episodes of Spongebob. We did whatever the kids wanted to do. I even got to see a friend (Hayley Wilson Mullin) from High School who lives in California and was in Park City for a softball tourney. So hey, it's a winner all the way around.

No comments:

Haley (11), Josh and Max (5)

Haley (11), Josh and Max (5)