Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Soccer

I am not meant to be a soccer mom. Just as much as my children are not meant to be athletes. I don't know who's idea it was to get children to play competitive sports, but I would like to slap that person upside the head. It's stressful for me to watch the boys play soccer. I don't care if they score the winning goal, I really don't. But some participation would be nice. Max is more concerned with his shadow then any ball that accidentally bounces off his knees and lands at his feet and all he has to do is simply lift his foot and kick the damn BALL!!! But, deep breath, he continues to play with his shadow. They are good at just standing there and getting in the way. So if the ball happens to come where they are, they are good defense because no one can get around them. Josh is interested in the ball but only to throw it in field, or to be goalie. The coach is so nice and allows the boys their turn at goalie. She doesn't need to do that. I shake my head "no" as she is asked repeatedly by Josh if he can be goalie. I pray, dear God, please don't let them be goalie. I try to sit calmly and just watch them as if they were playing with their friends. But then they do something stupid like put a twig in their mouth and look at the shadow of the twig in their mouth. I then stand up and start following them and yelling "MAX pay attention, follow the ball, kick the ball, help your team!" I'm exhausted and pissed off by the end of the game. Until Joshy, with his cute little face comes running off the field, asking me if I saw him kick the ball. ok. fine. "yes, I saw you kick the ball and you did great buddy," I tell him. I keep thinking of things they can do where it doesn't impact anyone else, like golf, bowling, clay pottery, long distance running. If there were competitive shadow dancing and competitive asking to be goalie, my kids would be gold medalist!

1 comment:

ericksonslc said...

hey i am still here reading your funny blog! i love it when you post because i laugh so hard. i miss my judy! you have a great outlook on life and you always have! please let's lunch soon!!!

Haley (11), Josh and Max (5)

Haley (11), Josh and Max (5)